Octoprint is an amazing piece of software that I believe is an essential tool for anyone with a 3D printer. Octoprint allows you to monitor your prints over your network or even online if you wish to take the security risk of doing so. Sixteenbit has made an easy to install option that is much safer than opening your Octoprint to the internet.
- Say that you are combining multiple STLs in to a single print and one of the objects come unstuck from the build plate. What do you do? Cancel the print and waste all the plastic that has been printed so far? Well this plugin will allow you to stop printing on that single object while continuing the rest of the print. Very useful and saves plastic which in turns saves money!
- Discord Remote
- This plugin allows you to connect your Octoprint instance to your Discord server. I honestly started using it to have it ping me when a print is finished but have not gotten that far in to setting it up. Discord Remote does allow you to send various commands to your printer like /status will take a snapshot of the current print and basic info like temps, Z height, and printing status; /snapshot will display a snapshot; and you can even /pause or /abort a print.
- Filament Manager
- This plugin allows you to create a filament inventory and keep track of each individual roll. It automatically adjusts the amount of filament left but also lets you manually adjust the amount left in case you forget to change what filament you are printing with when you change spools… Like every time for me…
- Floating Navbar
- This simply keeps the top navbar on your screen at all times even when you scroll down.
- Layer Display
- This displays the current layer and total layers on the state block. Just nice to have.
- Navbar Temperature
- This plugin will add the current and target temps of each tool and bed to the navbar. It also displays the socket temperature of your Raspberry Pi.
- This tool is what makes the best timelapse videos of your prints. Very easy to set up and use.
- Print History
- Saves a history of your prints and gives you stats like print times per print.
- I like this plugin mainly for the dark theme. Added bonus of letting you be able to control the CSS of any element. Useful for fixing the elements of other plug ins that just have to go off target of the default CSS…
- TouchUI will make Octoprint touch friendly for small devices. I keep an old unused phone next to my printer because I find the menus on my Ender 3 very hard to navigate and counter intuitive. I find it much easier to just use the phone to control everything.
- Webcam Tab
- Moves the webcam to its own tab. Useful for someone like me that uses an external site (this one) to monitor my prints.
All of these plugins can be installed through the plugin manager on Octoprint or manually installed.